-
data:post.commentLabelFull/

November 12, 2014

Childhood Dreams - Part 3: "Couchsurfer Meetings in the Orange County" (or: California Travel Report)

Click here to read PART 1      -          Click here to read PART 2
Why I met with Couchsurfers in the Orange County
     It is nearly impossible to develop a personal opinion about the cultural identity of a country without coming into closer contact with the locals. On this account, it was clear for me from the beginning that I would set out on a couchsurfing adventure once again. Deep inside I hoped that there was far more to discover in the land of unlimited possibilities than those things I have already known from the media. Those of you who have been following my blog recently, probably know that I have already had the honor to surf across Morocco, but also to host people in my hometown. However, this time, I would go on an expedition in a foreign country for the first time alone.
Couchsurfing Experiences in California
Sometimes, I take pleasure in the uncertainty not knowing what to expect. It has something fascinating, something challenging. As I have noticed during my time in California, travelling alone can have great benefits. Independence and heightened receptiveness towards the culture are besides the enduring joy of exploration undoubtedly a part of it. In case of a longer stay I certainly would have missed to exchange the latest news with my friends. Though, during this week, this was not the case.

Since I already had an accomodation in Fountain Valley, I was "merely" looking forward to some meetings with locals. I was hoping to get a deepened insight behind the superficial, media based facade of the Californian lifestyle. That means to experience more about the local occurrences and to obtain information that can usually not be found in a guidebook. Above all, I wanted to meet people from a different culture who would become finally a meaningful part of the memories of my time in California. Interpersonal relationships of a positive kind can often transfer even the most trivial locations into one of the most beautifiul places in the world. They build up deep connections to certain places and leave them back charmed.

The Magical Attraction of Huntington Beach: Couchsurfer Isaiah & Karryn
       Altogether, it were five couchsurfers that I met during my stay in California. Except for Matthias, who has already been travelling for a longer time in the States and who comes originally from a region near Munich, the others had their residence near Huntington Beach.

Isaiah grew up in different parts of the USA and is half Korean, half American. He was in the end the person with whom I spent most of my time in the States. Toward afternoon, he picked me up in Fountain Valley and we drove to Huntington Beach, the renowned Surf City, where many prominent surfers and skateboarders have their home. Meanwhile, it has been four or even five years since I was the last time at the beach. As a child, I have always dreamed of living at the beach and to make long walks under the sun every day.
Couchsurfing Huntington Beach

In the urban center of Huntington Beach one can find a lot of pubs, restaurants, surf shops and clubs. Before we settle on the beach, Isaiah and I provide ourselves at a small kiosk with cold beer. Since there is a strict drinking ban especially at the beach, I feel like a petty criminal when we are leaving the store with two heavy packed bags. Though, inconspicuous behavior is for us a foreign word today, and with a healthy appetite for a small portion of illegalities, we make ourselves comfortable at the next best meadow near to the sea.

Isaiah is both a very sociable and smart person. It is really fun to have conversations with him about all kinds of topics or just to sit there looking at the sea while burying our feet in the grainy sand. Sometime Karryn, another couchsurfer joins up with us. She actually comes from Columbia and has not been living for too long at Huntington Beach. Karryn has already seen a lot of the world; the wanderlust grips me as she tells us about her travels. Unfortunately, she has to leave us very soon because she is planning a party for her boyfriend, but is inviting us to her Jacuzzi for the evening.

Somehow, Isaiah and I have not made it to go to Karryn, although we would have loved to accept the invitation. After three evenings that I spent with Isaiah in Huntington Beach, we gradually got the feeling that the sea had a magical attraction to us. It was incredibly calming to sit at the beach, letting our thoughts run free - and sometimes not having to think at all. Each of the moments complied perfectly with my ideal conception of life how it should be more often. The more time I spent at the beach, the less I felt drawn to go back to the metropolis in which one is surrounded by an unbearable daily rush. Therefore, I try to capture the memories with all my might and hope that they will not slip away from me one day. Sometimes, we stayed so long at the beach until the coast guards made their rounds in order to dislodge the last nightly visitors from the beach. Nevertheless, they have never caught us.

Couchsurfer Courtney
      Maybe it sounds odd, but whenever I hear the terms "Bratwurst" or "schaiiiß Polizei", I have to think about Courtney. This circumstance is perhaps due to our conversation on the drive home in the car when Courtney threw around with German vocabularies he learned from his Munich friends during the last Oktoberfest. Courtney works as a coastguard and is on duty in many places of California, where he often must work night shifts on boats. Nevertheless, his job seems to be quite varied as he always gets to see new environments, and also saves a life every now and then. ;)
Couchsurfing in Huntington Beach


We decide to have dinner in a burger bar at Huntington Beach tonight. Since I acquired a taste for Californian Burger, I never want to eat Mc Donald's burger again. Especially the In-N-Out burger chain is quite popular in California where you definitely have to stop by when an opportunity arises.

After dinner we meet with Karryn and her boyfriend again. Since we did not have much time to talk the last time, I am even more delighted to see her again today. Together we are walking down to the beach and tell us about our funny travel stories until it gets dark.

One Night in Beverly Hills
      Hollywood and Beverly Hills definitely belong to one of the many must-see-places in California wherefore my expectations towards these cities were quite high. But after all, I would not necessarily go back to those places. What I missed was the cheerful tingly feeling in my stomach while walking through the boulevards and the refreshing euphoria when discovering something extraordinary. Instead, I experienced, especially in Hollywood the feeling of a redundant hype and many annoying tourist decoys. Nevertheless, I could see my cousin Richard  after a longer time again, who has been living as a child in Germany and then moved to California after the divorce of his parents. I can barely remember the last Christmas when the whole family was together. On this account, the visit in Beverly Hills had something beautiful about it because I also got to know his lovely girlfriend Jocelyn and his cousin Huy. Finally, it was my idea to drive to Beverly Hills. On the one hand, I wanted to see that prominent place with my own eyes, on the other hand, I arranged a meeting with Matthias, a couchsurfer living about two hours from Munich and his host Oz who lives in downtown Los Angeles.
Beverly Hills Couchsurfer Meeting Bar

Beverly Hills stands out notoriously for its high level of wealth. Everywhere one catches sight of luxury property and mansions whose property value must exceed the one million mark. This calm region is certainly beautiful to look at - for an "ordinary" tourist with average income, however, it does not offer much in my view. Nevertheless, the allure to make a trip to Beverly Hills lies probably exactly in this "experience" to admire the estates of numerous prominents, and to feel oneself as part of this affluent lifeworld for some moments. 

Our meeting point is a burger-cocktail bar. Considering that we are located in one of the richest regions of the Los Angeles County, the beverages and food are fairly affordable. After some drinks, Matthias and Oz join us - they are very warm-hearted and humorous people. Matthias tells me that he has already been travelling in North America for a few months and before that he worked on a ranch in Texas. In his leisure he works from time to time as a model. I believe that after the long time he spent in America, he gradually misses his hometown. Everything, that has literally surprised me positively in California - particularly the outgoingness, openness and seemingly warmth of the people that I was missing so often in Germany - unfortunately proved to be within the interpersonal relationships for Matthias nothing else than affectation and hypocrisy sometimes. The crazy thing is that I can relate to his thoughts quite well, paradoxically, although I have only spent a few days in California so far. The things that he broached on really made me ponder over the last days: currently, the Californian mentality and the whole lifestyle appeared almost unblemished to me, like a precision-ground diamond in its most flawless shape. Yet, I am asking myself subconsciously, whether I would still feel this way after two or even three months in California. Often, travellers overlook full of euphoria for the unexplored the rough edges of the seemingly smooth surface which are being kept as a secret deep inside the culture, hoping to stay undiscovered. One would like to preserve the outer facade, the brilliancy until it slowly, but noticeably fades away. In the end, the only thing that remains is a rough surface whose existence would rather be unkown in order to treasure the perambulated land in good memories and to protect it with all one's might. Albeit one knows that no country, no culture is perfect - anyway this would be disillusioning.
Unfortunately, pleasant evening come to an end way too fast. At 11 pm, we head for home because Huy has to work the next morning and still has to drive to Las Vegas. However, there is still enough time for a small excursion to the Milk Bar in Beverly Hills which is famous for its delicious ice-cream, coffee and cake. The long line in front of the entrance speaks for itself, and I feel a little bit like I was waiting in front of a Hollister store - which is definitely no bonus point for the café.


Saying Farewell - Last Day at Newport Beach
Good life Huntington Beach Sunset      Sometimes, one only realizes how beautiful it was when the heart struggles by all available means against the forthcoming. Attempts to escape from it are without exception inefficient because the present cannot be captured - apart from in the memories. The time is always faster than oneself and makes even the most wonderful moments fade away. But sometimes, bygone images appear in some short moments before the inner eye - and once one has captured them, they lead to a gentle smile about what we have experienced and seen.

Eagerly, I am waiting in the living room for the last couchsurfer meeting with Jack. On television, they are currently airing the World cup match between Germany and Algeria, when it rings at the door. Jack was recently for a few weeks in Brazil to see the World Cup match between Germany and the USA, but also to travel around. He just came back from his trip last night. Somehow, I feel very comfortable immediately in his presence as soon as he enters the door and introduces himself to my father. It is easy to have conversations with him because he is very cheerful, uncomplicated and lively. Thus, we are getting into entertaining conversations during our car ride to Newport Beach. I come to know that Jack works as a physics teacher at a high school and sacrifices his spare time mostly for creating curricula and marking exam papers -  still, he seems to be quite lucky with his profession despite all the efforts. By all means, his priority does not only lie in the exercise to bring his pupils closer to the laws of physics. Rather, his focus lies more in the promotion of personality development and self-improvement, as well as in supporting his students to realize their life plans. I find his attitude very beautiful as I believe that there is often lacking a basic foundation of trust between students and teachers in many education systems which might have indeed negative effects on the quality of teaching. Nowadays, strict curricula that should be studied in a very short time determine the teaching procedure. Consequently, they impart students compulsion instead of motivation to learn. I think that Jack is a great teacher who leaves his students sufficient space to act autonomously in order to become later on self-reliant individuals. 

Probably, it was our best decision to make a stop at the beach bar "The District Lounge". On the one hand, I have the pleasure to get a taste for the presumable most delicious American beer. "Highrise" is the name of the beverage and despite its 10%, it tastes simply excellent - even better than some German beer I have drunk before. On the other hand, I get to know the charming barkeeper Renee with whom we get involved in funny conversations. I promise her to come back next year in order to throw a jacuzzi party with her.

Full of boldness I throw my bag into the sand and toddle with Jack to the sea in order to shoot some souvenir photos. In my enthusiastic moment it certainly did not come to my mind that the sea would probably not have any consideration for my short unawareness. We have scarcely taken the first pictures, when I am forced to watch how a giant wave floods my bag where there are still my camera and mobile inside. After all, for the fun that we had, it was nearly worth it. Today I do not care much about anything. I want to witness for the last time the feeling of independence and freedom, dance under the stars and only just live. Unrestricted, passionate and impulsive. 

Newport Beach Summer

It feels incredible surreal when I stand for the last time with Jack at Huntington Beach waiting for Isaiah. Isaiah grew very close to my heart the past few days, although we have yet just been knowing each other for two days. He and all the other people I spent my time with the last days, made Huntington Beach to a more beautiful, very special place to me. To our place, packed full of unique memories of the time in California, a place where I would undoubtedly return. With no wasted thought about the tomorrow's hangover, I drink with the others on my time in California, and feel featherweight when we are walking half-drunk to the beach. For quite some time, the childish exuberance returns and thousand images are crossing my mind, are taking control over my body just to leave me speechless in the end. There is my father with his friends whom I have never experienced that lucky; Renee, the sweet barkeeper who smiles seductively at Jack and me; Isaiah and me how we sit at the beach and sing along to "Friday I'm in Love"; and then I see my cousin, Jocelyn, Huy and me driving down the Highways of Los Angeles to our favourite songs. My heart beats faster, when I all of a sudden realize that my small childhood dream has been coming true.


Now, there was lying a small fairy dust above the place that I loved so much. For the last time, I bury my feet into the golden brown sand and quitely say goodbye to Huntington Beach - with the knowledge that I will come back soon.

Sunset in Huntington Beach Traffic lights


________________________________________________________

Translation into German Language


Weshalb ich mich in Kalifornien mit Couchsurfern traf...
Es ist nahezu unmöglich sich einen persönlichen Standpunkt über die kulturellen Begebenheiten eines Landes zu bilden, ohne mit den Einheimischen in näheren Kontakt zu treten. Aus diesem Grunde stand für mich von Vorneherein fest, dass ich mich auch dieses Mal auf ein kleines Couchsurfing-Abenteuer begeben würde. Tief im Inneren erhoffte ich mir, dass es im Land der unbegrenzten Möglichkeiten weitaus mehr zu entdecken gab, als das, was mir bisher aus den Medien bekannt war. Wer ab und an meinen Blog verfolgt, weiß wahrscheinlich, dass ich bereits einmal die Ehre hatte, durch Marokko zu surfen, aber auch selbst in meiner Heimatstadt zu hosten.
Allerdings würde ich mich das erste Mal alleine auf eine kleine Expedition in einem mir fremden Land begeben. Manchmal finde ich Gefallen an der Ungewissheit, nicht zu wissen, was einen erwartet. Es hat etwas Faszinierendes, etwas Gewagtes. Wie ich während meiner Zeit in Kalifornien feststellte, bot das alleinige Reisen für mich einen großen Mehrwert: Unabhängigkeit und erhöhte Aufgeschlossenheit gehören neben der ständigen Entdeckungsfreude zweifellos dazu. Bei einem längeren Aufenthalt in Kalifornien hätte ich es sicherlich irgendwann vermisst, mich mit Freunden über Neuigkeiten auszutauschen. Während dieser Woche war dies jedoch nicht der Fall.

Da ich bereits eine Unterkunft in Fountain Valley hatte, freute ich mich „lediglich“ auf kleine Treffen mit lokal Ansässigen. Ich erhoffte mir, dadurch einen vertieften Einblick hinter die oberflächliche, medienvermittelte Fassade des kalifornischen Lebensstils zu bekommen. Das heißt, mehr über lokale Begebenheiten zu erfahren und an Informationen zu gelangen, welche üblicherweise in keinem Reiseführer zu finden sind. Im Großen und Ganzen ging es mir aber vor allem darum, Menschen einer anderen Kultur kennenzulernen, welche letztendlich zu einem bedeutsamen Teil der Erinnerungen an meine Zeit in Kalifornien werden würden. Zwischenmenschliche Beziehungen positiver Art führen oftmals dazu, dass sogar die banalsten Orte zu eine der schönsten Plätze der Welt werden können. Sie bauen tiefe Verbindungen zu bestimmten Orten auf und lassen sie manchmal verzaubert zurück. Und aus Bekanntschaften werden möglicherweise lebenslange Freundschaften.

Die magische Anziehungskraft des Huntington Beach: Couchsurfer Isaiah & Karryn
Insgesamt waren es fünf Couchsurfer, mit denen ich mich während meines kurzen Aufenthalts in Kalifornien traf. Abgesehen von Matthias, welcher seit einiger Zeit in den Staaten umherreiste und ursprünglich aus einer Region Nähe München kommt, hatten die anderen ihren Wohnsitz Nähe des Huntington Beach.

Isaiah ist bereits in verschiedenen Teilen der USA aufgewachsen und halb Koreaner, halb Amerikaner. Er war letztendlich die Person, mit der ich am meisten Zeit in den Staaten verbracht habe. Gegen Nachmittag holte er mich in Fountain Valley ab und wir fuhren zum Huntington Beach, der altbekannten Surf City, wo zahlreiche prominente Surfer und Skateboarder ihr zu Hause haben. Mittlerweile war es vier oder gar fünf Jahre her, seitdem ich das letzte Mal am Strand war. Als Kind träumte ich immer davon, irgendwann einmal am Meer zu wohnen und tagtäglich lange Spaziergänge unter der Sonne zu machen.

Im Ballungszentrum des Huntington Beach befinden sich viele Pubs, Restaurants, Surfgeschäfte und Diskotheken. Bevor wir uns am Strand niederlassen, versorgen Isaiah und ich uns in einem kleinen Kiosk mit kühlem Bier. Da besonders am Strand striktes Alkoholverbot herrscht, fühle ich mich ein wenig wie eine Kleinkriminelle, als wir mit zwei vollgepackten Tüten aus dem Laden treten. Trotzdem ist uns unauffälliges Verhalten heute ein Fremdwort und mit einem gesunden Appetit für eine kleine Portion Illegalität machen wir es uns auf der nächstbesten Wiese am Strand bequem.

Isaiah ist ein sehr umgänglicher als auch kluger Mensch. Es macht unglaublich viel Spaß sich mit ihm über die verschiedensten Themen zu unterhalten oder einfach nur dazusitzen, auf das Meer zu blicken und die Füße im Sand zu vergraben. Irgendwann stößt Karryn, eine weitere Couchsurferin dazu. Sie kommt eigentlich aus Kolumbien und lebt noch nicht lange am Huntington Beach. Karryn hat schon ziemlich viel von der Welt gesehen, und mich packt richtig die Abenteuerlust, als sie uns von ihren Reisen erzählt. Leider muss sie uns schon wieder bald verlassen, da sie eine Party für ihren Freund plant, lädt uns für den Abend allerdings noch in ihren Jacuzzi ein.

Irgendwie haben Isaiah und ich es nicht mehr geschafft, zu Karryn zu gehen, obwohl wir die Einladung liebend gerne angenommen hätten. Nach drei Abenden, die ich mit Isaiah am Huntington Beach verbracht hatte, bekam ich allmählich das Gefühl, dass das Meer eine magische Anziehungskraft auf uns ausübte. Es war einfach unbeschreiblich beruhigend, am Strand zu sitzen und den Gedanken freien Lauf zu lassen – und manchmal auch gar nicht nachdenken zu müssen. Die einzelnen Momenten fügten sich perfekt mit meiner Idealvorstellung über das Leben, wie es öfter sein sollte. Je mehr Zeit ich am Meer verbrachte, desto weniger zog es mich zurück in die Großstadt, in der man täglich von einer unerträglichen Alltagshektik umgeben ist. Deswegen versuche ich die Momente mit aller Kraft festzuhalten und hoffe, dass sie mir nicht eines Tages entgleiten. Manchmal blieben wir so lange am Meer, bis die Küstenwache kam, um die letzten nächtlichen Besucher vom Strand zu vertreiben. Uns haben sie allerdings nie erwischt.

Couchsurfer Courtney
Es klingt vielleicht merkwürdig, doch immer wenn ich die Begriffe „Bratwurst“ oder „schaiiiis Polizei“ höre, muss ich an Courtney denken. Diesen Umstand habe ich möglicherweise unserem Gespräch auf der Heimfahrt im Auto zu verdanken, als er mit deutschen Vokabeln um sich warf, die er von seinen Münchner Freunden auf dem Oktoberfest beigebracht bekommen hatte. Courtney arbeitet als Küstenwächter und ist vielerorts in Kalifornien im Einsatz, wo er oftmals lange Nachtschichten auf Booten schieben muss. Allerdings scheint sein Job ziemlich abwechslungsreich zu sein, da er ständig neue Umgebungen sieht und ab und an auch mal ein Leben rettet. ;)

Wir beschließen, heute Abend in einer Burgerbar am Huntington Beach essen zu gehen. Seitdem ich auf den Geschmack des kalifornischen Burgers gekommen bin, möchte ich nie wieder bei MC Donad's Burger essen. Besonders beliebt ist hier die kalifornische In-N-Out Burgerkette, wo ihr unbedingt mal vorbeischauen solltet, falls sich mal die Gelegenheit dazu ergibt.

Nach dem Essen treffen wir uns wieder mit Karryn und ihrem Freund. Da wir beim letzten Treffen nicht viel Zeit zum Reden hatten, freue ich mich umso mehr, sie heute wiederzusehen. Gemeinsam laufen wir zum Strand und erzählen uns lustige Reisegeschichten, bis es dunkel wird.

One Night in Beverly Hills
Hollywood und Beverly Hills gehören definitiv zu eine der vielen Must-See-Places in Kalifornien, weswegen meine Erwartungen an diese Städte ziemlich hoch waren. Doch letztendlich würde es mich nicht wieder zwangsläufig an diese Orte zurückziehen. Was ich vermisste, war das freudige Kribbeln im Bauch, während ich durch die Boulevards schlenderte und die erquickende Euphorie bei der Entdeckung von etwas Außergewöhnlichem. Zu spüren bekam ich besonders in Hollywood stattdessen nur das Gefühl eines überflüssigen Hypes und viele nervige Touristenlocker.

Allerdings durfte ich nach längerer Zeit meinen Cousin Richard wiedersehen, welcher als Kind in Deutschland gelebt hatte und anschließend nach der Scheidung seiner Eltern nach Kalifornien zog. Ich kann mich kaum mehr an das letzte Weihnachten erinnern, an dem die ganze Familie zusammen war. Aus diesem Grund hatte der Besuch in Beverly Hills etwas Schönes an sich, denn so lernte ich ebenfalls seine liebenswerte Freundin Jocelyn und seinen Cousin Huy kennen. Letztendlich war es meine Idee gewesen, nach Beverly Hills zu fahren. Einerseits wollte ich diesen prominenten Ort mit eigenen Augen sehen, andererseits verabredete ich mich mit Matthias, einem Couchsurfer welcher in der Nähe von München lebt und seinem Host Oz, welcher in Downtown L.A. lebte.

Beverly Hills sticht bekanntlich durch seinen hohen Wohlstand hervor. Überall erblickt man Luxusanwesen und Villen, dessen Immobilienwerte stellenweise die Millionengrenze überschreiten müssen. Schön anzusehen ist diese ruhige Gegend allemal – für einen „gewöhnlichen“ Touristen mit einem durchschnittlichen Monatseinkommen bietet sie in meinen Augen allerdings nicht viel. Allerdings liegt der Reiz bei einem Ausflug nach Beverly Hills wahrscheinlich genau in dem „Erlebnis“, die Grundstücke von zahlreichen Prominenten zu bewundern und sich für einige Augenblicke als Teil dieser wohlhabenden Lebenswelt zu fühlen.

Unser Treffpunkt ist eine Burger-Cocktailbar. Dafür, dass wir uns in eine der reichsten Gegenden des Los Angeles Countys befinden, sind die Getränke und das Essen einigermaßen bezahlbar. Nach einigen Drinks kommen auch schon Matthias und Oz dazu – es sind sehr herzliche, humorvolle Menschen. Matthias erzählt mir, dass er schon seit einigen Monaten in Nordamerika unterwegs ist und zuvor auf einer Ranch in Texas gearbeitet hat. In seiner Freizeit arbeitet er ab und zu als Model. Ich glaube, dass er nach der langen Zeit, die er in Amerika verbracht hat, allmählich seine Heimatstadt vermisst. All das, was mich bisher in Kalifornien geradezu positiv überrascht hat – insbesondere die Kontaktfreudigkeit, Offenheit und scheinbare Herzlichkeit der Menschen, die ich so oft in Deutschland vermisse – erwies sich innerhalb der zwischenmenschlichen Beziehungen für Matthias leider gelegentlich als nichts Anderes als Affektiertheit und Heuchelei. Das Verrückte ist, dass ich seine Gedanken paradoxerweise ziemlich gut nachvollziehen kann, obwohl ich gerade mal ein paar Tage in Kalifornien verbracht habe. Denn über die Sachen, die er anspricht, habe ich in den letzten Tagen auch schon gegrübelt: die kalifornische Mentalität und der gesamte Lebensstil erschienen mir momentan geradezu makellos, wie ein feingeschliffener Diamant in seiner tadellosesten Form. Doch unterbewusst fragte ich mich, ob es mir nach zwei oder gar drei Monaten in Kalifornien immer noch so ergehen würde. Oftmals übersehen Reisende voller Euphorie für das Unerkundete die Ecken und Kanten, die im Inneren jener Kultur als Geheimnis gewahrt werden und darauf hoffen, unentdeckt zu bleiben. Man möchte sich die äußere Fassade, den Glanz bewahren, bis dieser nach einer gewissen Zeit allmählich, aber doch sichtbar verblasst, und nur noch eine raue Oberfläche zurückbleibt, von deren Existenz man lieber nichts gewusst hätte, um das bereiste Land in guter Erinnerung zu wahren und diese mit aller Kraft zu schützen. Obgleich man weiß, dass kein Land, keine Kultur perfekt ist – denn das wäre ja auch ernüchternd.

Leider nehmen schöne Abende leider viel zu schnell ein Ende. Nach 23 Uhr machen wir uns langsam auf den Weg, da Huy noch nach Vegas fahren muss, um am nächsten Morgen früh auf der Arbeit zu sein. Für einen kleinen Abstecher bei der bekanntem Milk Bar in Beverly Hills reicht es allerdings noch, denn hier soll es ziemlich gutes Eis, Kaffee und Kuchen geben. Die lange Schlange vor den Eingangstüren sprechen für sich, sodass ich mir ein wenig so vorkomme, als würde ich bei Hollister anstehen – was nicht gerade ein Bonuspunkt für das Café ist.

Abschied nehmen – Letzter Tag am Newport Beach
Wie schön es wirklich war, merkt man manchmal erst, wenn sich das Herz mit allen Mitteln gegen das Bevorstehende sträubt. Versuche, ihr zu entrinnen, sind ohne Ausnahme erfolglos, denn die Gegenwart lässt sich nicht festhalten – außer in der Erinnerung. Die Zeit ist immer schneller als man selbst, und sie lässt selbst die wundervollsten Augenblicke verblassen. Manchmal aber, tauchen vergangene Bilder unverhofft für kurze Momente vorm inneren Auge auf - und wenn man sie eingefangen hat, führen sie zu einem sanften Lächeln über das, was man erlebt und gesehen hat.

Gespannt warte ich ihm Wohnzimmer des Hauses auf mein letztes Couchsurfer-Treffen mit Jack. Im Fernsehen wird gerade das WM-Spiel zwischen Deutschland und Algerien ausgestrahlt, als es an der Tür klingelt. Jack war erst einige Wochen in Brasilien, um sich dort das WM-Spiel Deutschland gegen USA anzusehen und herumzureisen, und kam erst gestern Abend von seinem Trip zurück. Irgendwie fühle ich mich in seiner Gesellschaft direkt sehr wohl, als er die Tür eintritt und sich bei mir und meinem Vater vorstellt. Es ist sehr einfach, sich mit ihm zu unterhalten, denn er ist sehr offen, unkompliziert und lebensfroh. So verwickeln wir uns während der Autofahrt nach Newport Beach in unterhaltsame Gespräche. Ich erfahre, dass Jack derzeit als Oberstufenphysiklehrer arbeitet und seine Freizeit größtenteils dem Erstellen von Lehrplänen und dem Korrigieren von Klausuren widmet – dennoch scheint ihm der Beruf trotz der Anstrengungen sehr viel Spaß zu machen. Seine Priorität liegt dabei keineswegs lediglich darin, seinen Schülern die Gesetze der Physik näher zu bringen. Vielmehr geht es ihm beim Lehren um die Förderung der Persönlichkeits- und Weiterentwicklung seiner Schüler und die Unterstützung bei der Verwirklichung ihrer Lebensziele. Ich finde seine Einstellung sehr schön, denn meiner Meinung nach mangelt es in vielen Bildungssystemen oft an einer grundlegenden Vertrauensbasis zwischen Schülern und Lehrpersonen, was durchaus negative Auswirkungen auf die Unterrichtsqualität haben kann. So bestimmen heutzutage strikte Lehrpläne, die innerhalb kürzester Zeit durchgenommen werden sollen, den Unterrichtsablauf und vermitteln Schülern resultierend Zwang statt Motivation zum Lernen. Ich glaube, dass Jack ein toller Lehrer ist, welcher seinen Schülern genügend Freiraum lässt, autonom zu handeln und sich zu selbstständigen Individuen weiterzuentwickeln.

Wahrscheinlich war es unsere beste Entscheidung, an der Strandbar „The District Lounge“ Halt zu machen. Zum einen habe ich hier das Vergnügen, auf den Geschmack des wahrscheinlich köstlichsten amerikanischen Biers zu kommen. „High Rise“ ist der Name des Getränkes, und trotz seiner 10% schmeckt es einfach vorzüglich – sogar besser als die deutschen Biere, die ich bisher getrunken habe. Zum anderen lernen wir hier die charmante Barkeeperin Renee kennen, mit der wir uns in lustige Gespräche verwickeln. Ich verspreche ihr, nächstes Jahr wieder vorbeizuschauen, um dann mit ihr eine Jacuzzi Party zu veranstalten.

Voller Kühnheit schleudere ich meine Tasche in den Sand und tapse mit Jack ins Meer, um Erinnerungsfotos zu schießen. Dass das Meer wahrscheinlich keine Rücksicht auf meine kurze Achtsamkeit nehmen wird, kam mir in dem enthusiastischen Moment natürlich nicht in den Sinn. Kaum haben wir die ersten Fotos geschossen, muss ich dabei zusehen, wie eine riesige Welle über meine Tasche schwappt, in welcher sich meine Kamera und mein Handy befinden. Doch für den Spaß, den wir hatten, hat sich das beinahe gelohnt. Heute ist mir so ziemlich alles egal. Ich möchte ein letztes Mal das Gefühl der Unabhängigkeit und Freiheit spüren, unter den Sternen tanzen und einfach nur leben. Zwanglos, feurig und impulsiv.

Es fühlt sich unbeschreiblich surreal an, als ich zum letzten Mal mit Jack am Huntington Beach stehe und auf Isaiah warte. Isaiah ist mir in den letzten Tag sehr ans Herz gewachsen, obwohl wir uns doch erst seit zwei Tagen kannten. Er und all die Menschen, mit denen ich in den letzten Tagen meine Zeit verbracht habe, haben Huntington Beach zu einem schöneren, für mich sehr besonderen Ort gemacht. Zu
unserem Ort, vollgepackt mit wundervollen Erinnerungen an die Zeit in Kalifornien, einen Ort, an den ich zweifellos zurückkehren würde. Mit keinem Gedanken an den morgigen Kater stoße ich mit beiden auf die Zeit in Kalifornien an und fühle mich federleicht, als wir etwas angeschwipst zum Strand laufen. Für einen langen Augenblick kehrt die kindliche Unbeschwertheit zurück und tausende Bilder durchstreifen meinen Kopf, übernehmen die Kontrolle über meinen Körper, um mich letzten Endes sprachlos zurückzulassen. Da ist mein Papa mit seinen Freunden, welchen ich so glücklich erlebt habe wie noch nie; Renee, die süße Barkeeperin, die Jack und mich nett anlächelt; Isaiah und ich, wie wir am Strand sitzen und zu „Friday I'm in Love“ mitsingen; und dann seh ich meinen Cousin, Jocelyn, Huy und mich auf der Rückfahrt von Los Angeles zu unseren Lieblingsliedern die Highways hinunter düsen. Mein Herz schlägt schneller, als mir plötzlich bewusst wird, dass mein kleiner Kindheitstraum in Erfüllung gegangen ist.

Nun lag ein kleiner Feenstaub über dem Ort, den ich so liebte. Ein letztes Mal vergrabe ich meine Füße im feinen Sand und verabschiede mich leise vom Huntington Beach, mit dem Wissen, bald wieder zurückzukehren.

21 Kommentare:

  1. Amazing pictures love the flower headband!!! You are so gorgeous xxx
    You are welcome to check out my new post xxx
    http://www.mlleepaulette.com/index.php?r=site/post&id=55

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Love… beautiful
    Borka
    www.chicfashionworld.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. Great shots! And the headband is just the cutest!

    Jessica | notjessfashion.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  4. Love your photos! Looking great in that romper :)

    Found you in one of the fashion blogs I frequent and thought I'd give you a visit. Would you like to connect via GFC or other social networks? Let me know if that is something that is of interest to you :)

    xo,
    Abby
    http://www.fashchronicles.blogspot.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  5. This is such a great read, seems like you had a lovely time and met some cool people

    http://worldbloggers.net/

    AntwortenLöschen
  6. You look so adorable and sweet!
    Love this outfit.

    Kisses

    Beth

    Rebirth - Beth Kubler Diary - Fashion Blog

    AntwortenLöschen
  7. Amazing!!! And you have a great blog. Let me know if you want we follow each other by GFC, bloglovin', google+, etc. I hope so: I'll follow you back!!! Have a nice day!!!

    *Keep in touch ;)
    ABSOkisses!!! Fanny J. ABSOmarilyn

    Google+ | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Bloglovin'

    AntwortenLöschen
  8. How adorable are you! I love the whimsical look of the white dress and that great floral crown!

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina


    P.S. Giveaway for a gift card to The Loft on my blog!

    AntwortenLöschen
  9. You look so gorgeous!
    I would really appreciated, if we could follow each other on BL and GFC!
    Just started following you, Waiting for you to follow back :)
    xoxo Colli // my little blog - tobeyoutiful // Bloglovin'

    AntwortenLöschen
  10. Lovely pictures. xx

    poshprime.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  11. ooh this is awesome!! your blog is so lovely ;)

    mfashionfreak♥blog

    AntwortenLöschen
  12. You have a wonderful style of writing and I adore your floral headpiece - how beautiful! :)

    http://aglassofice.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    AntwortenLöschen
  13. What an amazing way to meet people and share a meaningful experience. You will ALWAYS remember that. It's really very special. :)

    Aisling | aisybee.com

    AntwortenLöschen
  14. That flower crown is so cute!

    — Michelle | MXP STYLE

    AntwortenLöschen
  15. Great post, and that flower crown is so cute on you.
    Xoxo
    Christy

    http://www.am2pmchic.com/

    AntwortenLöschen
  16. looks like lots of fun! cute headband!

    xx
    a possible fantasy
    -----
    find me on twitter

    AntwortenLöschen
  17. Hey babe, how are you?
    Lovely post though, adding you to my favorites..
    Following you..
    I've only just started blogging.
    Visit me whenever you have time;

    www.its-dominica.blogspot.co.uk

    Anyway have a good day!
    Kisses xXx

    AntwortenLöschen